Clonidine Hydrochloride is a type of alpha-adrenergic agonist and antihypertensive agent. This is an FDA-approved tablet medication used in hypertension or high blood pressure along with other prescriptions. This is also used for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
What condition does Clonidine Hydrochloride treat?
Clonidine Hydrochloride is a prescription medicine used to treat hypertension. Blood pressure helps your blood move around your body. It may be different at different times of the day. Usually, there are no signs of hypertension. The only way of knowing that your blood pressure is high is to have it checked regularly.
This medicine lowers blood pressure by lessening the levels of certain chemicals in your blood. This lets your blood vessels relax and your heartbeat more slowly and easily.
How does Clonidine Hydrochloride work?
Clonidine Hydrochloride works by stimulating alpha–receptors in the brain. This decreases the nerve signals that are sent from the brain to the blood vessels that cause them to narrow and contract. As a result, the blood vessels are permitted to widen and relax. This increases the amount of space in the blood vessels and lessens the pressure inside them. This prescription is usually an additional treatment for people whose blood pressure has not been lowered enough with other medicine.
What is the dosage of Clonidine Hydrochloride?
To make sure that this medicine is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:
- A history of stroke, heart attack, and fainting spells
- Heart rhythm disorder
- Low blood pressure
- Slow heartbeats
- Heart disease or severe coronary artery disease
- Kidney disease
The recommended dosage and how often you take it depends on:
- The condition being treated and how severe it is
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you have
- How you react to the first dosage
Each dose of this medication is taken with or without food. This is usually taken twice a day, in the morning and at bedtime. If the doses are not equal, take the larger dose at bedtime to lessen the risk of side effects. Take the medicine as a whole with a glass of water. Even if you feel well, keep taking this medication. Most people with hypertension do not feel sick.
Do not stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor. You may experience symptoms such as shaking, agitation, nervousness, and headache. A quick rise in blood pressure may also happen if the drug is suddenly stopped. If you are taking this medicine for a long time or in high doses, the risk is greater. There are also some reports of possibly fatal reactions from stopping this medication too early. For this reason, you should not miss any doses of this medicine. If you missed a dose, inform your doctor right away. When this medicine is taken for a long time, it might not work as to how it works before. For this drug to work well, it may need a different dosage or an additional prescription. If this medication stops working well, contact your doctor right away.
What are the precautions in using Clonidine Hydrochloride?
- Drinking alcohol may increase certain side effects of this drug. For this reason, avoid drinking it.
- Taking this medicine may impair your thinking. Avoid operating machinery or driving until you know how this drug affects you. Drowsiness or dizziness can cause falls or other accidents.
- Tell your doctor about all current medications and you’ve ever taken before including antidepressants, other heart or blood pressure medication, or any other medicine that contains Clonidine Hydrochloride.
- Taking this medicine with other drugs that make you sleep can make it even worse. Before taking a dose of Clonidine Hydrochloride, ask your doctor if you can take it with a sleeping pill, muscle relaxer, narcotic pain medicine, or medicine for anxiety.
- Do not take extra doses to make up for the missed dose. For further instructions, it is important to call your doctor if you missed a dose.
- If you are 65 years old and older, discuss with your doctor the risks and benefits of taking this drug. Older adults should not take Clonidine Hydrochloride because it is not safe as other medications that can be used for the treatment of the same condition.
- If you having other surgery, you must tell the doctor that you are taking Clonidine Hydrochloride.