Bicalutamide is a tablet medicine used in men with prostate cancer. This is for oral use. The Food and Drug Administration has approved this prescription in 1995 for medical use.
What condition does Bicalutamide treat?
Bicalutamide is approved for combination therapy with LHRH analog for the treatment of metastatic prostate cancer. This type of cancer needs the male hormone testosterone to grow. The cause of prostate cancer is possibly hormonal. Fats stimulate the increased fabrication of testosterone and other hormones. Testosterone makes the growth of prostate cancer quick. High testosterone levels might stimulate undeveloped prostate cancer cells into action.
Testosterone is also known as an androgen. This medicine is a type of hormone drug called an anti-androgen that stops testosterone from reaching the cancer cells. This can slow the growth of your cancer and may shrink it.
How does Bicalutamide work?
Bicalutamide is an anti-androgen that blocks the actions of male sex hormones called androgens. It also decreases the number of male hormones such as testosterone that your body creates.
In prostate cancer, the cell that causes cancer needs the male hormone testosterone to increase and develop well. Hormone treatment like this medicine blocks the effect of testosterone on prostate cancer cells. This helps slow down the progress of cancer. Also, Bicalutamide helps to lessen the symptoms flare up and side effects from other treatment medication which may be used for cancer or following surgery.
What is the dosage of Bicalutamide?
Several medications are not suitable for people with a certain condition. Sometimes, the medicine can be used if extra care is taken. For these reasons, before taking a dose of this medicine it is important to tell your doctor if you:
- Have any problems with your liver on how it works
- Have ever had an allergic reaction to a medicine
- Are taking any other medications including over-the-counter medicine, herbal, or food supplements.
This prescription medicine is taken exactly as it is prescribed by your doctor. Your dose is based on your medical condition. The strength of the tablet that you are prescribed is based on whether you are also having other treatment.
Each dose of this medicine can be taken either before or after meals. Take the medicine by mouth, as a whole with a drink of water. Take it at the same time each day. It will help you to remember to take your doses regularly. If you missed a dose, call your doctor for instructions. Do not take two doses to make up for the missed dose. It is important to let your doctor know if your condition gets worse.
What are the precautions in using Bicalutamide?
- Keep your regular schedules with your doctor. Your doctor may want you to have some blood tests regularly to check that your liver is staying healthy.
- Treatment with this medicine is frequently long-term. You must continue to take this medicine regularly unless you are told otherwise by your doctor.
- Do not take more than the recommended dosage. If you suspect that you have an overdose of this medication, call for emergency medical help right away.
- This medication is strictly prescribed only for you. Do not give it to other people even if their condition appears to be the same as yours.
- If you buy any medications, check with a doctor or pharmacist that they are appropriate to take with your other medicines.
- If you are due to have dental treatment or an operation, tell the person carrying out the treatment which medications you are taking.
- Do not keep unwanted or out-of-date medicines. Take them to your local pharmacy which will dispose of them for you.
- If you have any questions about this medicine ask your pharmacist.
- This is used with caution in people with diabetes or moderate to severely decreased liver function.
- This is not recommended for use in children and women.
- Drinking alcoholic beverages must be avoided completely or kept to a minimum. You should discuss it with your doctor.
- If you experience side effects or symptoms, make sure to discuss them with your doctor or health care team. They can recommend prescriptions and give other recommendations that are effective in managing such problems. If there are side effects that are not getting better, getting severe, or getting worse, call for a medical emergency right away. Early treatment can help manage side effects better.
- This drug contains lactose. If you have lactose intolerance, consult your doctor before taking a dose of this medicine.