Terbinafine HCL Tablet
Terbinafine HCL Tablet is an antifungal medication that fights infections caused by fungus. This is an FDA-approved prescription that can be used in children who are at least 4 years of age. This medication comes as a 250 mg tablet for oral use.
What condition does Terbinafine HCL treat?
Terbinafine HCL is used in certain types of fungal infections including:
- Fungal nail infections
- Athlete’s foot
- Jock itch is sometimes called dhobie itch which is an infection in the groin area
- Pityriasis Versicolor causes small patches of discolored and scaly skin. it often occurs on your chest, back, tummy, neck, or upper arms
This is recommended by most doctors because it stops the growth and development of the fungus that causes infection.
How does Terbinafine HCL work?
As antifungal medication that kills the fungi that cause infection, it works by causing holes to grow in the fungal cell membranes. These cell membranes of fungi are important for their survival. They preserve unwelcome substances from entering the cells. To avoid leaking, they also stop the contents of the cells. By causing holes to appear in the cell membranes, Terbinafine HCL kills the fungi and clears up the infection.
Several fungal infections get better within 7 days of treatment with this medication. For the treatment of fungal nail infections, it may take 3 months or more. It is very important to use this medicine regularly for the best benefit.
What is the dosage of Terbinafine HCL?
Before using this medicine, let your doctor know your medical history especially of:
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Immune system problems
The usual dose for adults is one Terbinafine HCL 250 mg tablet a day taken once a day. Each tablet is usually taken for 2 to 6 weeks depending on the type of infection you have and how serious it is. In children, the prescribed dosage is based on their body weight and age. The usual length of treatment is as follows:
- Ringworm – 4 weeks
- Athlete’s foot – between 2 and 6 weeks
- Jock itch – 2 to 4 weeks
- Nail infections – between 6 weeks and 3 months and some of this type of infection needs treatment for 6 months or more.
Take every dosage either with or without food and at the same time each day. Swallow the tablet as a whole with water. Make sure to take Terbinafine HCL regularly and complete the course as directed by your doctor even if your symptoms have cleared up. If you suddenly stop the treatment, there is a risk of the infection returning.
What are the precautions in using Terbinafine HCL?
- It is important to inform your doctor or pharmacists if you are allergic to this medicine or if you have any allergies. This rug may have contents that cause allergic reactions or other problems.
- This prescription should only be used for your existing condition. You should not use it later or for other infections unless it is prescribed by your doctor.
- Daily use of alcohol might increase your chance of some serious side effects. For that reason, you need to limit alcoholic beverages.
- Changes or loss of sense of smell and taste might occur. These might occur after stopping taking this medicine. It can last for a long time or might be permanent. If it happens, call your doctor right away.
- This product might make you more sensitive to the sun. You need to avoid sunlamps or tanning booths as well as limit your time in the sun. If you have skin redness, blisters, or get sunburned, tell your doctor right away.
- This medication is only used when need in pregnant women. The treatment of fungal nail infection can usually wait until after you have given birth. However, you may need to discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
- If you are breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first.
- Be mindful that this drug may interact with certain medications including warfarin, azole antifungals, beta-blockers, antidepressants, and monoamine oxidase inhibitors type B. If you are taking any of these medications you need to tell your doctor.
- Taking a dose of Terbinafine HCL may make you dizzy or very unwell. For this reason, do not drive or operate any machinery until you know you can do it safely.