Lisinopril HCTZ is an FDA-approved combined medication. This prescription is an ACE inhibitor and a water pill or also known as a diuretic. This comes as tablets for oral use.
What condition does Lisinopril HCTZ treat?
Lisinopril HCTZ is a prescription medicine used for the treatment of high blood pressure or also known as hypertension. This type of condition increases the risk of stroke and heart disease. Blood pressure is the strength applied by circulating blood against the walls of the arteries of the body. This medication helps relaxes blood vessels so blood can flow more easily. Also, as a water pill, it causes you to make more urine to help your body get rid of extra water and salt.
How does Lisinopril HCTZ work?
ACE inhibitors work by blocking the action of the angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE). ACE is a certain compound in the body that usually makes another compound known as angiotensin II. This other compound is a part of the natural control of the blood pressure of the body. Angiotensin II causes blood vessels to narrow and constrict. By doing so, it increases the pressure within the blood vessels. As this medicine blocks the action of ACE, it lessens the production of angiotensin II. It makes the blood vessels relaxed and widened. The overall effect is a drop in blood pressure.
Diuretics work by causing the kidneys to increase the number of salts that are filtered out of the blood and into the urine. Once the salts are filtered out, they draw water alongside them. Diuretics can increase the removal of salts from the blood and cause more water to be drawn out of the blood and into the urine. Getting rid of water from the blood lessens the capacity of fluid flowing through the blood vessels. As a result, it reduces the pressure within the blood vessels.
What is the dosage of Lisinopril HCTZ?
This medication is usually taken once a day as directed by your doctor. The recommended dose is based on your condition, medical history, and response. The usual starting dose is between 2.5 mg and 10 mg once a day. This will be increased slowly over a few weeks to the usual dosage of:
- 20 mg once each day for high blood pressure and the maximum dosage is 80 mg once each day
- 20 mg to 35 mg once each day for heart failure
- 10 mg once each day after a recent heart attack
- 10 mg to 20 mg once each day for diabetic kidney disease
You may take each dose with or without food. Take each dose by mouth with a full glass of water. You should not suddenly stop taking this medication without the consent of your doctor. It may cause another complication or may worsen your current condition. Inform your doctor if your condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
Several patients who have hypertension will not notice any signs of the problem. Most of the individual with high blood pressure may feel normal. It is essential that you take your medication exactly as directed and even if you feel well you keep your appointments with your doctor.
Keep in mind that this medication will not cure your condition but it does help control it. For that reason, you should continue taking it as directed if you suppose to lower your blood pressure and keep it down. You may have to take medication for hypertension for the rest of your life. If high blood pressure is not treated, it can cause serious problems such as blood vessel disease, heart failure, kidney disease, or stroke.
What are the precautions in using Lisinopril HCTZ?
- Before using this medication, tell your doctor if you ever had an allergic reaction to it.
- Do not drive or perform any activity that needs your alertness. This drug can make you dizzy.
- Inform your doctor if you have any medical history especially of a high level of potassium in the blood or blood filtering.
- Limit alcoholic beverages while having treatment with this medication. Even though alcohol does not directly affect the medicine itself, drinking alcohol could increase the blood pressure-lowering effect of Lisinopril.
- This is not recommended for use in pregnancy. If you are breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first.
- This product may increase your potassium levels. Before using potassium supplements, consult your doctor first.
- Do not share this with others even if they have the same symptoms as yours.