Drug dependence occurs when you need one or more drugs to function. The abuse was considered the mild or early phase of inappropriate drug use that led to dependence. People viewed dependence as a more severe problem than abuse. Nonetheless, dependence is not similar to addiction.
Addiction can occur without being dependent on drugs, and it involves:
- Using drugs regardless of the consequences
- Being unable to stop the urge to use drugs
- Neglecting social activities, work, or studies because of drug abuse.
Nonetheless, a person can depend on a drug without developing an addiction. It is often on medications to control a chronic medical condition. Drug dependence involves:
- All the symptoms of addiction
- Development of a high tolerance for the substance
- Symptoms of withdrawal upon stopping the use of drugs.
Symptoms of Drug Dependence
- Body aches
- Muscle weakness
- Lack of sleep
Drug Abuse can Lead to Drug Dependence
Due to taking prescription medication for pain or another medical condition. This kind of use can sometimes develop into a substance use disorder. Here are the risk factors of drug dependence:
- Family history of addiction
- Living in an environment where illegal drug selling is rampant
- History of anxiety
- History of depression
- History of other mental health conditions
The Stages to Drug Dependence
- The use of drugs for recreation. It is infrequent use of drugs in social settings.
- You start using drugs regularly. It is often abandoning family and friends in favor of drug use.
- Drug addiction stage. You become more tolerant of the effects and start to feel preoccupied with getting them. You may abandon most or all your previous interests and relationships.
- You become dependent on drugs. It is when you are unable to live a day without them and it affects your overall being.
How to Diagnose Drug Dependence?
Drug dependence your everyday productivity and performance. It also affects your overall being. Diagnosis includes blood and urine test. Psycohological assessment can also help diagnose drug dependence. Medical providers can also assess your overall health and determine dependency by withdrawal symptoms.
Treatment for Drug Dependence
Your doctor may advise medications for drug dependence. Ensure to finish the treatment period to avoid withdrawal symptoms and other health problems. Treatment also includes family therapy sessions and the rehabilitation process. There are also behavior theray that helps in coping with the urge to use drugs.