In seizure disorders, this medicine works by reducing the nerve impulses that cause seizures. By controlling the frequency of seizure, it helps you to go out with your daily routines or activities with more confidence. Dicorate ER helps lessen the symptoms such as:
- Fear or anxiety
- Loss of awareness
- Uncontrollable jerking movements
In bipolar disorder, the drug works to restore the balance of nerve activity in your brain. It helps prevent extreme changes in the mood and helps you feel less agitated. You may experience fewer episodes of low mood. It may take several weeks for this medicine to work and you might still feel low during this time.
In the prevention of migraine headaches, this medicine may change the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain. It may also increase the activity in a region of the brain associated with migraines. By preventing and reducing the frequency of headaches, it could help you carry out your daily activities and have a better quality of life.
When and How to Use Dicorate ER
The dosage of Dicorate ER is based on your medical condition, weight, age, and response to the remedy. The dose you will be taking will also be based on the other medications you may be taking.
- For seizure disorder: The initial dosage is 10 mg per day in two to four divided doses. The maximum dosage is 60 mg per day.
- For bipolar disorder: The initial dosage is 25 mg each day and the maximum dosage is 60 mg.
- For migraine headaches: The initial dosage is 500 to 1,000 mg once a day.
Take the medication by mouth with a glass of water. Each dose may be taken with food if stomach upset occurs. Use Dicorate ER to get the most benefit from it. Remember to take it at the same time each day. If you are using this medicine to treat seizures, do not stop taking it until your doctor tells you to do so. Your condition might get worse if the drug is suddenly stopped.
Possible Side Effects of Dicorate ER
Some of the side effects do not need any medical care and disappear as your body adjusts to the drug. Consult your healthcare provider if they persist or if you are worried about them. These side effects include:
- Blurred vision
- Abdominal pain
- Hair loss
- Weight gain
- Double vision
- Flu-like symptoms
- Weight loss
What should I know before taking Dicorate ER?
- Dicorate ER must be taken with caution in patients with a history of liver, brain, and kidney problems, blood disease, HIV infection, or metabolic disease.
- Avoid alcohol consumption if you begin treatment with this drug.
- The medicine might cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. Do not drive a car and get up slowly from the bed while taking this remedy.
- The person taking this medicine might develop an increased risk of pancreatic inflammation and suicidal thoughts, if it occurs consult your doctor.
- You may need to monitor your blood counts, kidney and liver functions regularly while taking Dicorate ER.
Getting the Best Result from Dicorate ER
- It is likely that you will take this medicine for at least six months but possibly much longer. It needs to be taken regularly to work effectively.
- Do not stop taking it unless your doctor advises you to. You should continue to eat well and keep fit to reduce symptoms of bipolar disorder.
- Dicorate ER is safe to use during breastfeeding. Several studies suggest that the drug does not pass into the breast milk in a significant amount and is not harmful to the baby.
- If you missed a dose of this drug, take it as soon as you remember it. Conversely, if it is almost time for your next dosing time, skip the missed dose and don’t take two doses to make up for the missed one.
- Monitor your weight during the treatment as this can cause weight gain.
- Do not change the brand of your medicine and make sure that you have enough amount of medicine present with you.
- Take the whole prescription as prescribed by your doctor.