Armodafinil treats excessive sleepiness caused by sleep apnea, shift work disorder, or narcolepsy. It is the active ingredient found in Artvigil. This medication promotes wakefulness upon intake. Note that Armodafinil does not take the place of getting enough sleep. Therefore, it should not be used to treat tiredness or hold off sleep in people who do not have a sleep disorder.
How Does Armodafinil Work?
Armodafinil may work by increasing the amount in the brain by reducing the reuptake of dopamine into nerves. It works by promoting wakefulness. The peak concentration of Armodafinil reached approximately 2 hours when the drug was taken on an empty stomach. The potency of Armodafinil may last for 15 hours.
How to Take Armodafinil?
Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not take armodafinil in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Read the dosing instructions in the packaging. Take the medication by mouth with a glass full of water every morning with or without food. Armodafinil is usually taken each morning to prevent daytime sleepiness.
You can have it one hour before the start of a work shift to treat work-time sleep disorders. If you are using Armodafinil for obstructive sleep apnea, do not stop using your CPAP machine during sleep unless your doctor tells you to. The combination of treatment with CPAP and armodafinil may be necessary to best treat your condition.
What are the Side Effects of Armodafinil?
- Nausea and headache
- Dry mouth
- Dizziness and nervousness
- Sleeping difficulty may occur
- Pounding or irregular heartbeat
- Mood and mental changes
- Depression and confusion
- Fever and swollen lymph nodes
- Swelling and itching (allergic reaction)
Warnings and Precautions when Taking Armodafinil
- You should not use armodafinil if you have ever had a rash or allergic reaction caused by armodafinil or modafinil.
- Before taking this medication, inform your doctor if you have liver or kidney disease.
- Do not take Armodafinil if you have a history of heart disease or prior heart attack
- Inform your doctor if you have high blood pressure and alcohol addiction.
- Do not use Armodafinil if you are pregnant or breastfeeding as it affects the infant.
- Avoid driving or operating heavy machinery when using Armodafinil.
- Armodafinil is not approved for use by anyone younger than 17 years old.
- Store the medication in a cool dry place.